Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The pictures I can't take

I wish I could take pictures of all the things I've seen without being disrespectful of my patients and their rights. But I can't.

You can't see the 7 year old girl who just came in because her entire left arm has dry gangrene (black, shriveled, and ready to snap off) from falling out of a tree 6 weeks ago.

You can't see the lime-sized, ulcerated, bleeding skin cancer coming out of a mans groin that he "happened to mention" before leaving clinic.

You can't see the line of 8-10 children who have lost a leg (or two) and sit at the entrance to the tent and open the door when the volunteers walk in or out.

You can't see the 13 month old boy whose parents brought him in for a "rash" that had been going on for over a week, only to see that he has necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating bacterial skin infection) of his entire thigh, and may end up losing his leg and maybe his life.

I can't show you these. But you know what, I'm sure there have been plenty of other people who've been to Haiti or other places like this, and took pictures like these, and posted them on their blogs, without any respect for their patients.

1 comment:

  1. I am crying for the pain you are enduring and I am smiling because I am so proud of all that you are accomplishing and how well you are doing it; your mixture of empathy, pain, information and humor is the best. YOU ARE THE MAN!!

    ReplyDelete