Saturday, May 15, 2010

Goodbye

Such an incredible mix of emotions to get out of here. So excited to get home, be clean, eat a meal that doesn't consist of a bar, sit on my couch, watch the Lakers.

But to leave behind my patients and all I have and could do for them. There is an unending need for help here. I know that we have so much need in the US, but here it is so pervasive. They feel like victims to me. What did they do to be born in the poorest country in the western hemisphere? Or to suffer the worst natural disaster of our lifetimes?

I, or any of you, would be so fucking bitter, and ready to blame anyone I could find. But they are grateful. They smile and say "bonjour" every morning. They say "merci" after our conversations. They are even gracious when family members die. I've never treated patients like them.

God bless them. Because it sure feels like he's been ignoring them for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment